5 Ways to Empower Your Adult Child

1. Such great advice, thank you for sharing Sheila.

2. Georgiana says:

Our adult daughter is such a huge blessing to our lives. It’s true, parenting is so different at this stage, but thankfully she still wants full involvement. I don’t know if it’ll always be this way, but even now she still comes home for lunch every day and hangs out with us on the weekends.

Georgiana, I couldn’t agree more! My daughter is a true blessing and it is a beautiful time in life to enjoy one another.

3. Very nice. Good advice. It’s important to lift your kids.

4. Nellwyn says:

Wonderful post and great advice!

Nellwyn | http://www.thecardinalpress.com

Well said my friend! Life changes, but love prevails!

6. I know we can’t guilt our adult children into things, but there is something to be said for continuing to guide them with gentleness about how to treat people with love and kindness, even when we’re busy or stressed, teaching them to be gracious, selfless, and respect for others.

I’ve seen adult children of friends show up late for events, complain about the food, leave to go get their kids McDonald’s but leave their misbehaving children, and then leave early to meet up with friends after spending the entire time on their cell phones. I don’t know what went wrong there, but that isn’t okay, and there is a time to say something. I know it breaks my friend’s heart to see his son and wife treat him this way.

Jennifer, There is a difference between guiding adult children and allowing them to disrespect you. As the parent, disrespect should never be should never tolerated. Thanks for sharing!

7. Mardene Carr says:

Give them space…we could stop right there because too many parents do not know how to do this

I agree Mardene. There are way to many helicopter parents who don’t allow young adults to make any decisions and they end up enabling their children for years. Thanks for stopping by!

8. Erlene A says:

Great advice. I have one adult child and this is a new phase for me, so this advice is something I need right now.

Hi Erlene~
      I understand this completely! I was the mother of an only child until I remarried a few years ago. Every phase is new, but God will give you the strength to walk the journey. I will add you to my prayer journal 🙂

9. I do not have any adult, or soon to be adult children yet, but this is some good advice to stick in my back pocket for later. I loved what you said about not wearing yesterday’s dirty laundry. I think I need to remember that when it comes to my marriage!! 😉

Hi Brittany~
      Yes, I’m afraid that could be said about a lot of things. I’m glad Jesus doesn’t make us wear our dirty laundry ever….Blessing to you!

10. Heidi says:

Words of wisdom right here, my friend! Thanks for sharing your heart. <3

Thanks Heidi! It truly is from my heart and the things I have learned along the way. It isn’t always easy, but God brings new mercies everyday!