Are You as Contagious as a Cold?
Winter can bring us many wonderful things such as an unexpected snow day, a beautiful landscape adorned with freshly fallen snow, or a fun day on the ski slopes. It can also bring us the DREADED cold. I’m not talking about the temperature being cold, but the common cold that comes and possesses your body. The cold where your head is so full of junk you feel like it is going to blow up, and you are so tired from coughing, but can’t get to sleep. The cold where you wish you had invested in Kleenex stock because you have used a hundred boxes, or so it seems. Last Friday, my daughter and I were playing Scrabble, and I told her I felt like I was coming down with something. Unfortunately, I was right. I woke up Saturday morning feeling like I had swallowed a box of cotton balls and it got worse from there. I’ve been awake during the night praying, and as always God gives me a way to see and share JesusGlitter in all of this.
- We Are All at Risk of Contamination: A cold happens when you have been attacked by the common rhinovirus. These pesky little germs can be anywhere. You can get infected by touching the surfaces where these viruses hang out such as doorknobs, shopping carts, and any other contaminated surface. You can also pick up a cold from the droplets of moisture from someone coughing without covering their mouth, sneezing or just talking. In other words, they are everywhere! In our spiritual lives, we also suffer contamination from our environment. We live in a world that is contaminated by the enemy. It is his desire to make us sick. We are being attacked from every angle by the influence of our desires, by the actions of others, the fallout from what we see and do, and how we respond to our circumstances. Through this world come the germs of hatred, anger, pride, and perversion just to name a few. These germs enter our heart, mind, and soul. A cold makes us physically sick, and the world makes us soul sick. It doesn’t matter where you go, the germs are always there. But we need to learn preventive measures to stay healthy and learn how to combat these germs.
- Preventive Measures are Key: One of the main ways to prevent the spread of germs is hand washing. Hand washing is important because it removes the germs and stops the spread of the cold to others. When our immune system is weakened we become more susceptible to germs entering our body. Good nutrition along with proper rest are ways to help prevent illnesses and becoming physically sick. Hand sanitizer is good for when you don’t have access to wash your hands, and can help protect you from the germs on the many surfaces you touch throughout the day at your workplace, on public transportation or at the grocery store. One of the best preventive measures we can use to keep ourselves spiritually well is to put on the Armor of God before we enter into our day. When we are ready for battle with the various elements from our helmet to our sword and footwear, we find peace. You can read about every piece of armor and its importance in Ephesians 6:10-18. By using preventive measures, our odds of staying well increase. It doesn’t mean we won’t ever get attacked physically, emotionally or spiritually, but being equipped increases our ability to stay protected and fight off the attacks.
- We Need Rest: For some of us this is a four letter word. It isn’t in our vocabulary, but it should be and needs to be. Any human being can go only so long without rest or relaxation. Rest is the way our bodies heal themselves. I am guilty as charged on this one. The need to get one more thing done is my mantra, which leads to poor sleeping habits. However, it ends up costing me every time. Proper rest is imperative for our bodies to function normally in every respect. The number one thing the doctor tells us to do when we have a cold is to rest. There are times we don’t have the luxury of resting due to our job or other commitments. The fact remains though, if we don’t rest, many times our cold turns into something bigger with longer lasting implications. I’ve talked about this before, but rest was so important to God that he created a day just for it. The world will always demand more than God requires. Click To TweetThe world will always demand more than God requires. The enemy whispers this lie to each of us every day in hopes we will become spiritually unhealthy ripe for the picking. When we do not rest our focus takes a dive because we do not think clearly. Every aspect of our lives falls victim to a weary heart, mind, and soul. Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28-30:
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”
Jesus gives us the example of putting the yoke on to make the load lighter for ourselves. Jesus desires for us to bring our weary souls to Him and rest in knowing He will help us carry our burdens in our time of need.
- Colds are Contagious: A virus is not only contagious it can be deadly. Usually, a common cold will not kill you, but the complications from a common cold can be life threatening. This is why it is important to take care of yourself when you are sick. You are not only protecting yourself but your family, friends and everyone you come in contact with until you are well again. Being contagious can be as good as it is bad. Think about what could happen if people became contagious with the love of Christ. Those who are dead in Christ could be raised to a brand new life! The world would change because love would be more powerful than anything the enemy could try to infect us with such as jealousy, pride, and selfishness because we would no longer be living for self, but dying to self. Let’s be spiritually contagious and infect people with the love of God!
- The Importance of Vitamin C: Some studies have shown Vitamin C doesn’t help with a common cold. However, they do say it can help with other things associated with the common cold and for overall well-being. Here are some things I learned Vitamin C can do in helping you to maintain a healthy body. http://www.thehealthsite.com/fitness/health-benefits-of-vitamin-c-sh214/ There is another vitamin C which is even more potent and has significant benefits not only for your physical wellness but your overall wellness. I call it my Vitamin Christ! In addition to taking care of yourself physically, what you need to do when you are ill is to give yourself some grace, boost yourself in His love and His Word, and let Him care for you! He is the best overall medicine for your soul.