Excuse Me, Is that Your Baggage?

1. Amen, Sister!! Great post. I always get a chuckle when someone with a load offers advice they clearly are not following. Love the analogy. It’s perfect.

Hi, Sheila! I do too unless it is me…LOL! Thanks for your encouragement! Blessings to you and your ministry!

2. Sheila, this is a great post and so pertinent! As parents we definitely struggle to let our children carry their own loads. We can be a help at times, but we still have to step back and let them grow up one way or another. I love your analogy of baggage. Good grief, I have enough of my own baggage to let God work with me on, I don’t need to be carrying around a bunch of other’s baggage as well. Ha, ha. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy your insights.- Amy

Hi, Amy! I wouldn’t be writing about it if I didn’t have my own baggage! Some life lessons God teaches me are hard ones and trust me this has been a hard one. Thank you for your encouragement!

3. Susan says:

great post! I really love your explanation of the difference between a burden and baggage- I never looked at it that way before… and it is something I really needed to hear today. Thank you! Love you and miss you! <3

Hi, Susan! I miss you and pray your transition is going well. Thank You for your encouragement and know that you are loved! Blessings and tell Farley we miss him too!

4. Terri Grothe says:

wow what a timely post for me, thank you for sharing. This is just what im going thru right now, I need to listen to people but not take their baggage

Hi, Terri!
      I’m glad this helped! I understand what you are saying because it is easy to get caught up and try to carry someone else’s bag. I’ve been there and done that. I will be praying for you and asking God to give you His wisdom and strength!

5. Kim says:

Love this, such a great post and so true, sometimes you have to deal with your own stuff before you can help people with theirs. After all you can only carry so much!

Hi, Kim! We can only carry so much, but thankfully God carried it all. We just have to learn which baggage is truly ours to own. Thanks for commenting!

6. Susan Evans says:

A lot of us take on baggage from our childhood that wasn’t even our baggage in the first place. It helps to have godly friendships that can help us talk through and get rid of that baggage so that it doesn’t affect our future relationships.

Hi, Susan! You are right about that! Childhood baggage is the worst in my opinion. Nothing like being loaded down with an oversized suitcase from the day you were born. Godly friendships and great counseling are key in learning how to get rid of our baggage now and prevent it from happening in the future! Thanks for your comment!

7. Erin says:

This so spoke to me even today. I was counseling someone and found myself, moved by the Holy Spirit, to draw that line. I came right up to that line where I was about to pick up her baggage and carry her burden on myself when the Holy Spirit lovingly chastised me, reminding me that it was not my burden to bear but rather merely my place to counsel her as He saw fit. It’s in my nature to carry other peoples burdens but that doesn’t help them in their walk. My curing someone else’s baggage only weighs me down and weekends them when they should be building up their own strength. Great article!

Hi, Erin! Yes! It is all about knowing the difference between the Holy Spirit and our lack of discernment. I’m a fixer by nature and God has chastised me at times too. Sometimes people have to carry their own baggage so they can feel the weight of their issue. Thanks for your insight and good thoughts!

Whose baggage are we carrying? If it’s any besides our own, then there’s a problem

9. Nancy says:

Wow, lots of good info in here! I tend to take on my family members’ baggage a lot.

Hi, Nancy!
      I used to own people’s baggage until the weight of all of it made me collapse. Growing up I was the fixer and it was expected of me until I learned it wasn’t my place to fix things to make people happy while becoming miserable myself. I am thankful to God for helping me unload my baggage and giving me the strength to get rid of others.

10. We have to learn what baggage God didn’t ask us to carry. His yoke is easy. His burden is light.

11. Thanks for sharing. Great writing, great illustration! Reminds me of how Jesus warns us to first remove the beam out of our own eye so we can see clearly to remove the beam out of our brother’s eye. We have to primarily deal with our own problems so we can then go on to be a help to others!

Hi, Chelsea! You are correct! If we are not dealing with our own baggage we can’t expect to be able to carry someone else’s baggage without collapsing.

12. Kristi says:

Oh, Sheila! You hit the nail on the head with this post. Yes, we are supposed to help each other along but not carry their baggage. That is Christ’s responsibility not ours. There is now way in this world we can truly carry their load, but we can point them to the One that can and encourage them every step of the way!

Thanks, Kristi! Often times we forget our role in helping others doesn’t mean owning their baggage. We must always pray and seek God’s wisdom before picking up things which don’t belong to us.

13. Aileen says:

I like the analogy of the airport baggage claim. We should bear one another’s burdens and help those in need, but we need to seek God’s wisdom in how we should help. I know someone who always asked for money for different financial needs. After a while, we noticed this was a pattern in that person’s life, so my husband, instead of giving him more money, came alongside him, prayed with him, and tried to teach him personal finance.

Hi, Aileen! Thank You for your encouragement. I love what your husband did he put love in action. This is what we need more of in this world.

14. This is such an awesome post..and you hit it right on with the explanations.

15. I always put something on my bag to easily know that its mine. My bags got lost a few times at the airport but nothing of mine was ever stoke, knock on wood!

Hi, Veronika! I’ve learned the more different your bag is the better off you are! I put ribbons on my handles so I know for sure they are mine.

16. Blair villanueva says:

It always happen a lot and sometimes it deems normal. But it costs a lot if wasted time. The trick is to decorate your luggage with stickers and name tags. It works! And your kids will love to do it for you.

17. Ana Ojha says:

I too hate when people start acting like cattle in front of the conveyor belt. I always check my name tag before picking my bag!

Hi, Ana!
      I do too! There would be nothing worse than getting to my destination or home and realizing I had someone else’s bag! Thank for stopping by!